Looking for news you can trust?Subscribe to our free newsletters.
The year is nearly over, and politically speaking, it hasn’t been pretty. Plenty of outrageous, terrifying, shameful things have happened since Donald Trump took office, but from the very first day of his presidency, a massive contingent of the nation has taken to the streets.
The day after Trump’s inauguration, women and their allies showed up in record numbers to protest the new president and his incoming Cabinet—and it ballooned into America’s largest single-day demonstration in recorded history. More than 3 million people poured into the streets of cities across the country for the Women’s March, to push back against human rights violations affecting women, LGBT people, and immigrants.
Other protests this year included the March for Science and the People’s Climate March, and protests following Trump’s decisions to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement, end the DACA program, and ban immigrants from Muslim-majority countries. At each one, there were signs—lots of signs.
Here’s our list (in no particular order) of the most striking, creative, and outright hilarious protest signs of this historic year:
1. Orange is the New Black star Uzo Aduba’s sign was inspired by Meryl Streep’s epic anti-Trump Golden Globes acceptance speech.
this sign made me laugh @UzoAduba #WomensMarch pic.twitter.com/y0UngwxNuS
— Franchesca Ramsey (@chescaleigh) January 21, 2017
2. This spot-on Game of Thrones reference.
I love this sign @SarahLerner made for the #WomensMarch. pic.twitter.com/Wi4PixbX8z
— Rebecca Cup o’ Kindness (@GynoStar) January 21, 2017
3. I feel this.
Best. Sign. Ever. #WomensMarch #womensmarchnyc #sobadevenintrovertsarehere pic.twitter.com/TmJydvooqu
— Susan Kaufman (@skaufman4050) January 21, 2017
4. All the vagina signs, really.
5. From the mouths of babes.
Jim West / ZUMA7. I’m crying.
8. This on-point Gilligan’s Island reference.
10. These middle schoolers aren’t holding back.
Michael Nigro / Pacific Press/ZUMA11. Neither is she.
12. And you thought high school math would never come in handy.
13. This clergyman is doing God’s work.
Erik Mcgregor / Pacific Press/ZUMA14. There were words of wisdom from feminist icons.
16. “No comment needed.”
17. I’d vote for this kid.
Jim West / ZUMA18. This sign is just too real.
19. I really hope Trump saw this one.
20. And this sign pretty much sums it up.